IMHCA is committed to keeping our members informed about IBOL board activities and decisions. The quarterly meetings are attended by an IMHCA representative. The information gleaned, plus posted IBOL minutes and documents, are reduced to an overview (sample overview is located at the bottom of this page). Recent overviews are located in a members-only section. To reach the members-only page hover on IBOL Updates tab on bar above and then click on the drop down IBOL Meeting Overviews tab (this tab is only visible to members who are signed in).
Click here to become an IMHCA member and
get access to all overviews posted since July 2018.
June 2019 Overview includes:
Tentative 2020 IBOL Quarterly Meeting Dates
(Confirm dates at IBOL website)
When: Starting at 9a on both days
February 27 & 28
May 28 & 29
August 20 & 21
October 22 & 23
Thursday is the recommended day to attend as the board often goes into long executive sessions on Friday that are not open to the public.
Where: Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses
700 West State Street, Boise, ID 83702
Phone: (208) 334-3233
- Claiming to be a registered supervisor, and providing supervision services when not actually an Idaho registered supervisor, is a disciplinary offense. Discipline has included paying Board investigative and attorney costs, license suspended for 6 months followed by a minimum of two years probation. First year of probation has weekly supervision requirements; second year has monthly supervision requirements. Quarterly reports by supervisor required to be submitted to the Board. Fifteen hours Board approved face-to-face CE units required to be taken in addition to the yearly requirement of 20 CE license requirements. Twenty page scholarly review of the literature dealing with the specific ethical violations required. Loss of the ability to be a registered supervisor for minimum of five years.
- All counselors seeking services from a registered supervisor need to check with the Board’s website to make sure their intended supervisor is indeed registered. All hours supervised by a non-registered supervisor are unable to be counted towards clinical supervision requirements. In a recent case, two counselors were described as being unable to get credit for the hours accrued over 1 – 1 ½ years because their supervisor wasn’t registered. Here is a link to IBOL’s list of registered supervisors.
- (This material is summarized from the IBOL Disciplinary Actions posted on 07/12/18.)
- In seeking to comply with this order, one law change the Board is planning to request of the Idaho legislature in 2019 is to modify CE requirements. This is the current language in their report:
- “Remove the limit on the number of online, interactive courses that qualify for CE – current rules limit online training to 10 hours . This would reduce the barriers and costs of obtaining continuing education units, and allow licensees in rural and remote Idaho to reduce their training and travel costs. This would also allow all Idahoans to take advantage of expert-level training that is offered via online formats.”
- Board has been focusing on editing the marriage and family laws/rules to reduce onerous regulation. They will soon be turning their focus on Counselor rules/laws to reduce barriers for licensure in Idaho.